Parents have given exceptionally high ratings to the senior and junior schools in an independent survey carried out by RSAcademics.
The most popular words chosen to describe the school were:
An impressive 97% of parents rated the senior school’s academic results in the top two categories of very good and good, with 91% rating the quality of teaching at this level. 90% rated the provision of clubs, the extra-curricular programme and sporting opportunities as very good or good, as did 90% for the leadership of the school and its day-to-day running.
The senior school received responses placing it in the top three out of 54 senior schools surveyed by RSAcademics for:
- the range of academic subjects on offer and the arrangements for homework
- provision of extra-curricular clubs and sports opportunities
- feedback on a child’s progress, general communication of news and events and the approachability of staff
- site security, school’s state of repair and appearance, the academic facilities and equipment and the quality of the food provided
- the administration and day-to-day running of the school and the way parents’ specific concerns are handled
The senior school also exceeded RSAcademics benchmarks for a further 13 features of the school.
RSAcademics commented that:
Parents are impressed with the school, feeling it delivers strong academic standards whilst providing support to pupils by caring staff. The extra-curricular opportunities on offer ensure pupils experience a balanced education.
The survey results for the junior school were also outstanding, with 93% of parents happy to recommend the school to others. Parents identified many high-performing features:
- Providing a ‘welcoming, family atmosphere’ together with the ‘behaviour and manners of pupils’ and ‘pupils’ appearance’ which 90% or more of parents rated as ‘very good’ or ‘good’
- Academic provision – the ‘quality of teaching’, ‘teachers’ ability to inspire your child’, the ‘range of academic subjects on offer’ and the ‘teaching of literacy and numeracy skills’ were each given the top ratings by more than 88% of parents
- Communication and relationship between parents and the school was also highly rated. For example, ‘communication with the Class Teacher’ was highly regarded by 89% of parents as was the ‘approachability of staff’ and ‘general communication of news and events’ which was considered to be ‘very good’ or ‘good’ by 86% of parents
RSAcademics commented that:
Parents value Stockport Grammar Junior School for the friendly atmosphere and individual support that it provides to pupils, together with the balanced education, including academic provision, and high standards of behaviour. The communication with parents and the physical resources of the school are also highly regarded by parents.
A selection of the comments reveals just how happy parents are with their children’s education at Stockport Grammar School:
Senior school parents
I can’t say enough good things about SGS. I don’t know if all independent schools are so good, but you have exceeded our expectations and justified our choice.
Both of our children have really enjoyed being at Stockport Grammar and we look forward to many more happy years as proud parents.
Junior school parents
I would have liked to have had the opportunity to go to SGJS when I was at school, my children love school, they love learning, their teachers and their friends.
As our daughter is about to leave SGJS we would like to thank all the staff for their hard work, commitment and dedication in teaching her and helping her to become the confident, happy child that she is.
The survey was administered during the summer of 2015 and analysed independently by RSAcademics to ensure that all responses remained confidential and anonymous. Thank you to all the parents who contributed to the survey. The responses will help the school to identify and focus on priorities for the future.