Senior school musicians put on a superb spectacle as they took part in this year’s Music Festival.
The contest, which was judged by Nick Parrans-Smith, Director of Music at Lichfield Cathedral School, saw excellent solo and ensemble performances from pupils on a variety of instruments including the piano, the euphonium and the double bass.
The three hour event, played out in front of a captivated audience of governors, teachers, pupils and parents, displayed the breadth of talent within the school and demonstrated the excellent work the Music department have put in with the pupils.
The big winners during the evening were Alex Jones, Simon Fraser and Pippa Brown who bagged multiple awards but huge congratulations go to all the winners and to everyone who took part in a close contest.
The full list of winners is:
- First year instrumental: Winner – Daniel Vincent – euphonium
- Second year instrumental: Winner – Zoe Shah – violin. Commended – Kanei Nishii – piano
- Third year instrumental: Winner – Pippa Brown – alto saxophone
- Junior vocal: Winner – Phoebe Roberts
- Junior ensemble: Winners – Joshua Furtado-Mendes – violin and Kanei Nishii – piano
- Fourth and fifth year vocal: Winner – Niamh Johnson
- Fourth and fifth year instrumental – Winner – Jess Lloyd – flute. Commended – Elsa Shah – violin
- Sixth form vocal: Winner – James Holt
- Sixth form instrumental – Winner – Alex Jones – double bass. Commended – Simon Fraser – oboe
- Senior ensemble: Winners – Simon Fraser – oboe and Alex Jones – double bass
- Wind and brass cup: Simon Fraser – oboe
- String cup: Alex Jones – double bass
- Pianoforte cup: Kanei Nishii – piano
- Flute trophy: Jo Brown – flute
- Most promising lower school musician: Pippa Brown – alto saxophone
- Adjudicator’s cup – Alex Jones – double bass