The Stopfordian Parents’ Association is a registered charity (number 509875), the objective of which is to advance the education of the pupils at Stockport Grammar School by providing and assisting in the provision of facilities for education at the school through:
- Engaging in activities which support the school and advance the education of the pupils attending it.
- Working in harmony with the governors of the school.
The aim of the SPA is to create a flourishing school community through parents, children, teachers and governors working together for the benefit of the school.
Who are the SPA?
Every parent of a child attending Stockport Grammar School automatically becomes a member of the Stopfordian Parents’ Association when their child enters the school. All members are welcome to attend meetings.
The SPA’s constitution requires a council to be formed from its members. The current council members are:
What do the SPA do?
The Stopfordian Parents’ Association organises various social events for the children and parents (eg school discos, cinema nights, bowling nights, balls and the annual quiz night).
It runs the second hand uniform sales and is responsible for organising the school’s Christmas fair.
Through these events the SPA raises money to provide additional resources for the benefit of the children at the school. Examples are:
- A substantial contribution to the building of the climbing wall.
- Canoes to enable the Junior School to start a canoe club.
- Playground equipment for the Junior School.
- Equipment for various Senior School extracurricular clubs.
- Mannequins for the school nurse for first aid training.
- Kit for various Senior School sports teams.
- Classroom games and toys chosen by the Infant children and delivered by Father Christmas.
- A substantial contribution towards new school minibus.
- Table tennis tables for the Senior School.
- A substantial contribution towards a new state-of-the-art lighting system for the main hall.
- Prizes for the Senior School library reading olympiad challenge.
The SPA has committed to make a contribution of up to £12,000 towards the second new minibus from its funds this year.
How can I help?
By contacting Lisa Provan, chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org and by contributing your ideas, supporting events organised by the Stopfordian Parents’ Association or by coming along to a meeting (notices of which are sent out to all parents as well as being posted on the website).