Founded in 1487 by Sir Edmond Shaa, Stockport Grammar School is amongst the oldest schools in the country. The 29th January marks a special date in our history, a 100 years since the formal opening of the school at the Hallam site.
From the then rural and remote north west of England, Sir Edmond enjoyed a dazzling rise to national influence as the Court Jeweller to three kings of England, Prime Warden of The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths and Lord Mayor of London. His bequest in 1487 has benefited generations of local boys and girls.
The school was initially located at St Mary’s Parish Church before moving to locations in Chestergate and Greek Street. By 1910 the school had started to outgrow the Greek Street site and the search began for a new location.
The site chosen was the Bramhall Lodge Estate at Mile End and on the 4th April 1914 the foundation stone was laid for the construction work at the Hallam site. The move to the new buildings took place during the Christmas holiday of 1915 and on Saturday 29th January 1916, Colonel George Dixon, Chairman of Cheshire County Council, officially opened the school. A guard of honour was formed by the school detachment of the Stockport Battalion of the Cheshire Volunteer Regiment.
You can view a brochure about the history of Stockport Grammar School by clicking here.