Chaplain to the Queen and to the House of Commons, Reverend Prebendary Rose Hudson-Wilkin joined pupils, staff, governors and Old Stopfordians for the annual commemoration of the foundation of the school by Sir Edmond Shaa in 1487.
Sir Edmond Shaa was Court Jeweller to three kings of England, Prime Warden of The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths and Lord Mayor of London but in his dazzling rise to national influence he did not forget the children of his home town. Sir Edmond Shaa’s will established the school and his appointment of the Goldsmiths’ Company as the administrators of his bequest established the school’s historic and continuing link with one of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of London.
The annual Founder’s Day Service sees the continuation of many long traditions including The Founder’s Day Prayer and the singing of Psalmus CXXX, De profundis. This year, the Junior Chamber Choir sang Albrecht’s ‘Lift Up Your Voice, Alleluia’; the Chamber Choir sang Lauridsen’s ‘O Magnum Mysterium’ and the Chorus group sang ‘Kyrie and Gloria’ from Chilcott’s A Little Jazz Mass.
More information on the school’s history is available in a booklet produced to celebrate the centenary of the school’s move to the Hallam site.