Ethos and Aims
Stockport Grammar School is a 3 to 18 co-educational day school which recognises the value of each pupil as an individual, and the importance of nurturing every aspect of their personality and potential – intellectual, creative, emotional, physical and spiritual.
We encourage all pupils of all ages, backgrounds and religions at all times to discuss any issues or concerns with members of staff, working in partnership with parents to provide each individual with the support necessary to develop confidence and to flourish and thrive in a secure and supportive environment.
We promote high standards of good behaviour which require pupils to be considerate, polite, respectful and helpful towards each other. They learn to recognise the need to be responsible and reliable, to show loyalty appropriately and to support each other constructively.
We aim to:
- provide an excellent and challenging academic education in a caring and supportive atmosphere
- give opportunities for each pupil to develop not only intellectually but also creatively, spiritually and morally
- create conditions in which initiative and independent thought and inquiry are welcomed and a lifelong enjoyment of learning is cultivated
- foster high standards of behaviour and mature, responsible, considerate attitudes both in and out of school
- encourage all pupils to participate in a wide range of co-curricular activities which encourage personal and physical development and which inculcate a sense of self belief and esteem
- provide opportunities for pupils to act as leaders in the school community and to work together with the wider community
- ensure, as far as possible, that pupils are equipped to face the challenges and demands of life beyond school, becoming active and responsible citizens