Year 5 mathematicians add up the fun
248 young mathematicians from 33 primary schools across Greater Manchester gathered at Stockport Grammar School on the 26th and 27th June for the annual Maths Challenges for Year 5 children.
The popular Maths challenge ran three sessions this year, testing each team’s maths, problem-solving and teamworking skills across three rounds – which included the chance to relay race around the Hallam Hall.
The challenge, now in its twelfth year, is the creation of the SGS Maths department and is designed to inspire and enthuse Year 5 pupils to enjoy the subject.
Congratulations go to the podium winners:
26th June Morning Session
- First: Springfield Primary School Team 5
- Second: Altrincham Preparatory School Team 3
- Third: Altrincham Preparatory School Team 6
26th June Afternoon Session
- First: Bowdon Church School Team 16
- Second: Bowdon Church School Team 14
- Third: Rose Hill Primary School Team 7
27th June Session
- First: Forest Park Preparatory School Team 11
- Second: Lady Barn House School Team 19
- Third: Broad Oak Primary School Team 22
Head of Mathematics Mr Greig Frankland-Wilkinson commented: “It was a pleasure to host so many eager mathematicians.
“The sportsmanship and teamwork throughout was inspiring, with all teams producing some fantastic maths.
“All of the children should be very proud of themselves for representing their schools.”