Year Five mathematicians rise to the challenge
224 young mathematicians from 31 primary schools across Greater Manchester gathered at Stockport Grammar School on the 22nd and 23rd June for the annual Maths Challenges for Year Five children.
The popular Maths Challenge ran three sessions this year testing each team’s maths, problem solving and team working skills across three rounds, which included the chance to relay race around the Hallam Hall.
The challenge, now in its eleventh year, is the creation of the SGS Maths department and is designed to inspire and enthuse Year Five pupils to enjoy the subject.
Congratulations go to the podium winners:
22nd June: Morning Session
- First: Stamford Park Primary School, Team 17
- Second: Abbotsford Preparatory School, Team 9
- Third: Abbotsford Preparatory School, Team 6
22nd June: Afternoon Session
- First: Springfield Primary School, Team 2
- Second: Springfield Primary School, Team 3
- Third: Lindlow Community Primary School, Team 12
- First: Forest Park Preparatory School, Team 19
- Second: Loreto Preparatory School, Team 8
- Third: Hursthead Junior School, Team 21
Head of Mathematics Mr Greig Frankland-Wilkinson commented: “It was a pleasure to host so many eager mathematicians especially after having to hold the competition online last year.
“The sportsmanship throughout was inspiring with all teams producing some fantastic maths. All of the children should be very proud of themselves for representing their schools.”