Stockport Grammar School provides exceptional musical opportunities for every child. We offer a diverse and inclusive programme of activities, through our curriculum and extensive co-curricular programme.
All pupils are given the opportunity to learn instruments with an outstanding team of music staff. In addition to being inclusive, we aspire to the highest level of elite music-making in our choirs, bands and orchestras. We have a significant number of pupils that have attained grade 8 and beyond. Many of our pupils also participate in regional and national music ensembles and at the Junior Royal Northern College of Music. A large number of former pupils have gone on to study Music at Oxbridge, UK conservatoires and other leading universities and pursue successful careers in music.
The activities on offer are intended to provide access for all pupils, including total beginners, in all areas of music and also pathways into music careers for those with outstanding ability. We have a large stock of musical instruments and an instrumental tuition scheme that enables all First Year pupils to have introductory lessons on instruments ranging from oboe, clarinet, saxophone, flute, bassoon, cello and double bass to the full range of brass instruments.
Fun, Friendly and First Class
The table below shows the activities for the 2021-2022 academic year. Regular commitment is required for all practices and rehearsals.
Current pupils will be informed of any changes by staff. If you have any queries, please get in touch with us.
|Activity||Day, time||Location||Teacher in charge|
|Brass Quartet||Monday 8.30am||MU2||Mrs Johnson|
|Guitar Ensemble||Monday 1pm||MU3||Mr Girling|
|Chamber Choir||Monday 1pm||MU1 and MU2||Mr Dow and Mr Newlove|
|Big Band||Monday 4pm||MU1||Mr Evans|
|Music Tech Club||Monday 4pm||MU2 and MU3||Mr Dow and Mr Newlove|
|Concert Band||Tuesday 1pm||Hallam Hall||Mrs Matthews|
|Chamber Choir||Tuesday 4pm||MU1 and MU2||Mr Dow and Mr Newlove|
|Cello Choir||Wednesday 8.30am||MU1||Mr Cashell|
|String Orchestra||Wednesday 1pm||Hallam Hall||Mrs Matthews|
|Brass Ensemble||Wednesday 1pm||MU1||Mrs Johnson|
|Theory Class||Wednesday 1pm||MU3||Mr Newlove|
|Junior Percussion Ensemble||Wednesday 4pm||Hallam Hall||Mr Landon|
|Senior Percussion Ensemble||Wednesday 4.30pm||Hallam Hall||Mr Landon|
|Senior and Junior Jazz Bands||Thursday 8.30am||MU1 and MU2||Mr Hamilton|
|VOX||Thursday 1pm||MU2||Mrs Matthews|
|Wind Orchestra||Thursday 1pm||Hallam Hall||Mr Newlove|
|First Orchestra||Thursday 4pm||Hallam Hall||Mr Dow|
|Barbershop Group||Friday 8.30am||MU2||TBC|
|String Quartet||Friday 8.30am||MU2||TBC|
|Second Orchestra||Friday 1pm||Hallam Hall||Mr Newlove|
|Chorus||Friday 4pm||Hallam Hall and MU1||Mr Dow and Mr Newlove|
|Junior Chamber Choir||Friday 4pm||W6||Mrs Matthews|
Throughout the academic year we hold a number of concerts and events where our excellent musicians play in front of a live audience. These include the Winter Concert, the Leavers’ Concert and the Music Festival.
Find a full list of events in the document below.
- Musical excellence on display
- Senior School Virtual Carol Service
- Hallé selection success for musicians
- Musicians impress with virtual performances
- Chamber Choir perform at Oxford University
- Countdown to Chicago
- Winter Concert warms packed out hall
- Pitch-perfect performances at Autumn Concert
- Christmas Concert rouses festive cheer
- Amazing autumn term for music at SGS
- Touring musicians astound European audiences
- Outstanding quality shines during Music Festival 2019
- Musical First Years
- Summer Concert showcases breadth of talent
- Spectacular concert at the RNCM
- Musicians excel ahead of RNCM Spring Concert
- A Wonderful Winter Concert on a Snowy Night
- Expert musical tuition rings true
- Music festival impresses a packed out Hallam Hall
- Talent Shines at the Lower School concert
- Celebration time at the Leavers’ Concert
- Summer Concert spectacular in the sunshine
- Showcasing musical excellence
- Chamber Choir perform at Christ’s College, Cambridge
- Audience enchanted with Winter Concert performances
- Pupils hit the high notes with their musical achievements